Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicken & Corn Chili

Ok, let me start off by saying that I have been in a dinner rut for a while now. I never know what to make, deciding what to make for dinner is the most annoying decision of the day!  Ugh! I flip through my recipes and am always missing a key ingredient (usually produce or milk products), nothing sounds good, or it takes too long to make (since I usually have two adorable little boys pulling on my legs and demanding attention when I make dinner).  The key ingredient problem could probably be solved if I made a weekly meal plan but I tried that a while ago and when I made my lists the food sounded good but it didn't always sound good on the day I scheduled to make it, or we would unexpectedly be invited to dinner, or we would go out because I didn't feel like cooking, or bla bla bla.  The point is I would greatly appreciate some new dinner ideas!  I would also prefer quicker ideas, but I really just need some new ideas and will take anything Pretty PLEASE?!!

Let me also state that this tastes A LOT better than it looks!  I actually didn't think it looked appetizing but it sure tasted yummy (especially once you put the cheese on top).  I also didn't think to take a picture until I had dinner cleaned up, so you get a picture of Josh's lunch in Tupperware.

2 TBS Olive Oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped (I used colored peppers)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander (I could have sworn I had this but I couldn't find it in my spice cupboard so I substituted for cayenne pepper which is probably not even close but hence it is what I used)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn
2 cans (15 ounces) cannelli beans, drained and rinsed (I used great northern cuz it is what I had. Also it wasn't until I went to type this that I realized it called for two cans. I only put in one, must have read the instructions wrong.)
salt to taste
shredded cheddar cheese

1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and pepper. Cook, stirring 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, coriander and chili powder; cook 1 minute.

2. Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Add chicken. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

3. Stir corn, beans and salt into pot. Heat through. Spoon into bowls and top with shredded cheese.

This recipe came from the FEB 2011 familycircle.com magazine that I ripped out quite a while ago but just made. Glad I finally got around to making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment