Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chicken Broccoli Supreme


I found this recipe on the Get off your Butt and Bake website. Yummy!! You have to make this!
I went out shopping so I printed this recipe off and handed it to Jeff to make and have ready when I got home:) Bless his heart. He said it went together quickly and was easy to make.
Ingredients:
1 lb. fresh broccoli. Break into pieces and steam for 2 minutes
3 cups cooked chicken breasts broken into small pieces
3 cups grated cheddar cheese divided
2 tubes Ritz Crackers
1 stick melted butter
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Sauce:
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 c COLD water
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups of the above cheddar cheese
Directions:
In greased 13x9 pan layer the broccoli and chicken, then set aside. In saucepan over medium heat combine the melted butter, cornstarch dissolved in water, chicken broth, seasonings, and milk. Stir well, and continue stirring until sauce has thickened. Turn heat down to low and add 1 1/2 cups grated cheese. Stir until melted. Pour over the chicken and broccoli. Top with 1 1/2 cups grated cheese.
Melt the butter and add the poppy seeds. Stir well. Crush the Ritz crackers in a large zip-lock bag with a rolling pin. Don't crush too small. Add crumbs to the melted butter. Sprinkle crumbs over the top of the grated cheese.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
**This was SO super good! My kids gobbled it up in no time! The sauce is like a cheese sauce but not too liquidy or overwhelming. I left out the poppy seeds because they freak my kids out. I like this recipe because it is a casserole without cream of something soup!! It makes me feel like there is less sodium:) Also, if you used less cornstarch and didn't make the sauce so thick I bet it would make a good cheese sauce for potatoes or veggies.

2 comments:

  1. I printed this recipe off this morning. When I was making my weekly menu. I'm so glad it was as good as the picture made it out to be. There are few other recipes that I want to try out from that website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, you guys will love it!!

    ReplyDelete