Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken Taco's

Recipe by me!! Jackie!!

I created this meal when we lived in Connecticut living on a VERY small income.  When we were first married, we never really cooked at home.  My husband worked at a pizza place, so we ate plenty of pizza!  And really, we went out to dinner ALOT!  So when we made the move to Connecticut and were living on less than half of our normal income, eating out was out of the question.  One thing I did know how to cook was taco's.  Brown the hamburger, put taco seasoning in, plop some onions, cheese, and sour cream on a tortilla and viola dinner was served!  After a while, those taco's got really old.  I remembered back home, my bro-in-law had made taco's one night for us all.  They were heaven to eat, and I had to see if I could come up with some sort of copy-cat recipe.  This has got to be one of the most simple meals I make, but oh so delicious.  My kids LOVE it and always go back for seconds and thirds. 

Chicken Taco's 

1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
1 pack of taco seasoning (if you buy the LARGE container from costco use 1/4 cup seasoning)
3/4 cup water
1 can of corn
1 bag of spanish rice
grated cheese
tortillas
sour cream

Heat a little oil in a skillet and add chicken.  Cook chicken til golden brown.  Add the drained/rinsed black beans to chicken.  Then add your taco seasoning and water.  Cook on low and simmer covered about 10 minutes.  While the chicken is simmering heat up your corn and cook your spanish rice by following the package directions.  Grate your cheese and warm up your tortillas.  And that's it!  Pile all that yummy goodness onto a tortilla and enjoy!  This makes plenty for my family, I would guess about 6-8 taco's. 

2 comments: