Thursday, February 10, 2011

Granny B Pink Cookies

I roll out the sugar cookies on wax paper with powdered sugar so they don't stick. Yum! Look how puffy they are! Just like good ol' Granny's
I am a Pink Cookie freak. So are many people I know. My friend, Amy (a fellow freak), found this recipe on her sister's blog and gave it to me the other day. I couldn't wait to try it especially for Valentines Day. Today was the test run and they are awesome!!! Sugar Cookies:

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups of flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup sour cream


Cream butter and sugar together. Slowly add eggs and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture along with the sour cream. Mix until smooth.

Chill 2 to 3 hours.

Roll out 1/4-1/3" thick depending on your preference and cut into shapes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown on bottom. Let cool.


Frosting:

4 Tablespoons butter

2 1/3 cups powdered sugar

milk

3/4 teaspoon vanilla

(for chocolate frosting add 3 tablespoons cocoa)


Put butter in bowl and beat with electric mixer until fluffy. Then add about half of the powdered sugar. Beat in 1 tablespoon milk and the vanilla. Slowly add in the rest of the powdered sugar. Add more milk if needed. Add food coloring if desired.


*I cooked mine at 350 for 9 minutes because I'm a dork and thought that is what I read! They turned out just fine so if you do it right at 375 I'd say cook them for 8-ish minutes depending on your oven. Just don't over cook! I let mine chill on the cookie sheet for 1 minute before removing to the cooling rack. Also, I used almost twice the milk it called for. I got 24 medium sized heart cookies out of the dough. I doubled the frosting recipe and it was perfect for the 24 cookies. If you are making the cookies larger I'd triple the frosting recipe.

*Update 4/7/11* I added approx. 3-4 tablespoons of cream cheese to a doubled batch of the frosting to make it a little less sugary. It was awesome! I think it's the best frosting I've made so far:)

1 comment: